- Identify the main components of a laser.
- state the types of laser.
- state the characteristics of the laser light.
- explain optical systems that use laser light in the field of engineering, medicine and industry.
- Laser light is a form of light which seen as a beam of light.
- Laser is a short form for "LIGHT AMPLIFICATION BY STIMULATED EMISSION OF RADIATION"
- Laser is a device or instrument that produces thin beams of light. Observe the picture below.
1.0 MAIN COMPONENTS OF A LASER.
Four main components of a laser:
- active medium -optical cavity or medium which made of gas, liquid or solid.
- excitation mechanism
-flash-lamp supply energy that excites the electrons of atoms.
- feedback mechanism -consists of two mirrors which reflec atoms back and forth through the active medium so that the light can be further amplified.
- output coupler
-allows a portion of the laser light and leave the laser on the form of a beam.
Diagram below shows the stages in production of laser light:2.0 TYPES OF A LASER.
•Carbon dioxide laser
Types of laser are determine by the laser substance used in each of the system.
3.0 CHARACTERISTICS OF THE LASER LIGHT.
The properties of lase light:
- monochromatic - single wavelenghts or one colour)
- coherent- laser light moves in phases with the other.
- very directional- laser light is a very strong and concentrated beam which travels in straight line.
4.0 USES OF LASER LIGHT.
- remove birthmarks
- eye surgery
- lavelling tool
- construction of tunnels
- road surface profiling
- optical fibre use in telecomunication system such as telephone conversation, computer connections and television channels.
- the bar code scanner system.
- a laser printer.
- used in CD or DVD player.
- laser light show.
- laser pointer
- as educational aides
- laser cutting machine.
- laser welding system.